Tuesday, January 4, 2011

100 things to do before age 60

I recently found a list I wrote when I was 15 of 60 things I wanted to accomplish by the age of 30 and I was surprised to see that I had accomplished quite a few of the things (climb a climbing wall, help build a Habitat house, go on a mission trip, fast for 24 hours or more, take a ballroom dancing lesson, give blood, paint my toenails a bright color, preach a sermon, plan a worship service, make something and sell it, sign a petition, vote, give up chicken for Lent--I ended up giving it up entirely the following summer, get my driver's license, learn to do laundry, get a digital camera and take pictures, go to Annual Conference, have a job that I enjoy, mow a lawn). There's something very satisfying about making goals and seeing them accomplished. In that spirit, I decided to make a new list of things I would like to see within the next 40 years. Some are things I can do immediately. Others will take time. Day by day can't wait to see the adventures to be!

Life's List  
Complete: 14/100
In Progress: 11/100


1. Live in another country for at least a year
2. Swim with dolphins
3. Take a dance class
4. Learn how to play piano
5. Learn how to play guitar in progress
6. Teach for at least five years in progress 
7. Study at least 10 languages [So far: Spanish-proficient, French-basic, Latin-limited basic, Japanese-basic, Indonesian-basic, Portuguese-basic]
8. Learn a language primarily by immersion in a country where it’s spoken learning Indonesian was a glimpse!
9. Read a book (not for class) in another language
10. Donate 5 feet to Locks of Love (multiple donations) [currently @ 3 ft, 2 in]
11. Write a book (fiction or non-fiction). Maybe publish it.
DONE 11.3. 11 12. Do karaoke at least once
13. Sky dive or bungee jump
15. Go white-water rafting
14. Go on a road trip
16. Sleep on the beach
17. Make a piece of pottery
18. Write a letter to the editor
19. Be on a retreat for 10 days
20. Run 5 miles (or more) consecutively, not necessarily in an organized run...but maybe ongoing
21. Plant a garden
22. Knit something (i.e. start and FINISH a project)
23. Sew an outfit
24. Work for a non-profit
25. Learn to ride a bike
26. Learn to ski
27. Give up shopping for a year
28. Travel abroad with my mom
29. Visit the Grand Canyon
30. Visit Niagra Falls
31. Find my soul mate and get married to him
32. Raise happy and healthy children
33. Make Christmas gifts for everyone on my list at least once
34. Work in a coffee shop
35. See a Broadway play on Broadway
36. Take up photography
37. See a shooting star
38. Stop biting my nails once and for all
EXPERIENCED Fall 2012 39. Become an early riser (I say "experienced" because with a change in circumstances, maybe there will be a change in habit, but I now get up between 5-6am every day for work and usually between 7-9am weekends. For the first time in my life I am regularly wiped out by 10 or 11 at night!)
40. Build a Habitat for Humanity home in another country
41. Participate in NaBloPoMo or NaNoWriMo current
EXPERIENCED 10.15.11! 42. See someone I’m close to come to know Christ (hopefully many more to come!)
43. Disciple someone and see them mature to the point of discipling others
44. Visit the Great Pyramids in Egypt
45. Take a boat down the Nile River
46. Go ziplining in a rain forest
47. Visit Jerusalem; put a prayer in the wailing wall
DONE 1.7.12 48. Go to a U of M Hockey Game (U of M vs. Lake Superior State)
DONE 3.13.12 49. Sit in on an engineering class
50. Study the Bible [ongoing]
51. Raise/train a seeing eye dog
52. Eat 100% locally grown food for a week
53. Mackinac Island bridge walk
54. Host a Thanksgiving dinner
55. Bake bread (with yeast, kneading & the whole 9-yards)
DONE May 2013 56. Learn to make sushi
57. Learn to make chocolate truffles
DONE 3.17.11 58. Drink green beer
59. Visit the four corners
60. Get cartilage pierced
61. Ride on the top of a double-decker bus in England
62. Visit where my grandparents lived in Scotland
63. Buy food for the person in line behind me or people at a nearby table
DONE 64. Translate a longer work or interpret for a day Parent-teacher conferences 3x/yr
65. Sell something—pampered chef, discovery toys, body shop, start an ebay store to sell jewelry...
66. Learn how to write grant proposals
67. Write an article for a magazine or newspaper
68. Publish a poem or short story
69. Throw a dinner party for at least 10 people
70. Learn more about different religions (ongoing)
71. Finish John Wesley’s complete works [ongoing]
72. Finish at least one of the “100 books to read before you die” lists [BBC list ongoing]
73. Travel to all 50 states [Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, N. Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, New York, Maine (14)]
74. See the Great Wall of China
75. Volunteer full-time for at least a year
76. Get to know my sisters on a deeper level (ongoing)
77. Be involved in a church plant
78. Visit Australia
79. Take a cooking class
80. Travel to Japan a second time—visit past host family, exchange students & conversation partners
81. Travel to Central/Latin America
82. Break a Guinness World Record
DONE January 2012 83. Go to a concert or performance in Hill Auditorium
84. Learn to drive stick shift
DONE 85. Dance and sing in the rain (a la Gene Kelly) running in the rain summer 2014...there was a tiny bit of singing :) 
DONE 86. Go on a picnic
DONE 2.26.11 87. Go ice skating
88. Ride a camel in the desert
89. Visit a French café
90. Go to Africa
91. Help someone get into or through college
DONE 9.25.11 92. Throw a block party
93. Live somewhere with a view of a lake or ocean
94. Learn to play Euchre
95. Finish a 5000-piece puzzle
96. Send out holiday cards
97. Eat pizza by the Leaning Tower of Pisa
98. Stay at a bed and breakfast in southern France
99. Blow bubbles from the Golden Gate Bridge
DONE 11.11.12 100. Go fairy door hunting

#12: Karaoke with IMAX!













#58: St. Patrick's Day 2011 (21st!)
























#49: Sit on an engineering class--CEE 265: Sustainable Engineering Principles

We learned about biomimicry...Thanks Mee Sun!


















#88: Ice Skating with JOLT in Detroit

































#93: Geddes Avenue Potluck

















#101: Go fairy door hunting - with Ms. Elizabeth - here are a two we found!











4 comments:

Megh said...

Okay, I have a plan for you. You can tackle 1, 7, 8, 14, 16, 36, *47*, *48*, 71, 89, and 94 and potentially 2,3, 9, 12, 13, 15, 19, 25, 26 (Yes, you can SKI in Israel and then go visit the beach), take your mom along for 28, 31 (convinced everyone's soul mate is in Israel :P),37, 39, 44, 45, 64, 76, 86, 87, and 91 by running off to Israel with me! :D ;)

And see I so read through your whole list! ;) I should make one but we have a lot in common. But look at how many of your dreams can come true in Israel! :D I think i have a list of 100 things just to do in Israel, at least... including find my soulmate. ;) ANd if I do make it to Israel this summer envy me as I do many of those list thigns of yours. ;)

Megh said...

Also. Birthday time let's go out and drink green beer and sing karaoke! I don't know about you but I'd need some alcohol to actually face up to the singing at all! ;)

Elizabeth said...

hehe thanks for helping me make my dreams come true :) we should definitely grab a bday drink together!

Megh said...

We can drink on the flight to Israel! ;)